3.27.2012

Catersource Las Vegas Feb 25-March 1

Rob, Martha & I attended the Catersource Convention at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas last month.  We were inspired and came home with some new ideas to pass onto our customers...but that's not what I want to share with you.  I want to show you a glimpse of my favorite meals in Vegas!  Some of the nation's (world's) best chefs have restaurants all within one city block...all within walking distance of my hotel!
These photos are in order of my favorite meals.  You may be shocked to know that the best meal I had was for breakfast.  You won't be shocked when I tell you it was at Thomas Keller's Bouchon
I started with Cinnamon Sugar Beignets served with Chocolate and Raspberry Sauce.  I was just in New Orleans this past weekend and had beignets at Cafe du Monde...these are worlds apart and SO, SO much better. That's saying alot! 
For my second course (yes, at breakfast), I had the omelet special. A bacon, piquillo pepper and cheddar omelet with bacon and homemade brioche toast. Aaahhh...if only every day could start out this great! 
My second favorite meal was at Todd English's OlivesThroughout our trip, Martha & I shared most of our meals.  We were able to try so many more things at all of these wonderful restaurants.  At Olives, we began with a glass of housemade sangria and a basket of bread with (aptly) olives and tapenade.  We chose the special of the night and were not disappointed.  We had the beet salad with mixed greens, candied pecans and champagne vinaigrette. 
Followed by flank steak & possibly the best lobster mac & cheese I've EVER had. 
Our first night in Vegas, we had a dinner of appetizers at the bar at Wolfgang Puck's Spago. We started with B.L.T. SALAD "WEDGES" - Baby Iceberg Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Pepperoncini and Black Pepper-Parmesan Dressing 
Then, Crispy Calamari served with Marinated Cucumbers & Hearts of Palm with Coriander Vinaigrette
Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce, Shishito Peppers  

Pizza - Prosciutto, Fromage Blanc, Parmesan, Micro Arugula and wine soaked grapes - which were the absolute best part of this pizza!  
We made friends with a lady sitting next to us.  She's a regular Spago's customer, and lives in Vegas.  She shared her Kobe Beef Sliders on Brioche Buns with Bread-Butter Pickles, Red Onions, Smoked Gouda, House Made Ketchup  
The third most awesome meal we had was at China Poblano by Chef Jose Andres literally combining noodles and tacos; Mexican and Asian.  We started with the chipotle salsa and tortilla chips along with guacamole and house made tortillas.  There's nothing better than a hot, fresh homemade corn tortilla!  
Martha had the Pescado Frito - fried fish with ancho chile pickled onions  
We shared fried wontons filled with shrimp and pork on sesame sauce  
We finished with Chicken Ji Song - chicken lettuce leaf cups with fried sweet potatoes.  Let's just say they put PF Chang's to shame.  And I love PF Chang's lettuce wraps!   
 For our sweet tooth, we decided on the Tres Lychees.  The traditional Tres Leches dessert with fresh Lychees.  Very light and tasty!  
This is the last meal I'll share, and honestly, probably the most disappointing at Bobby Flay's Mesa.  It wasn't bad per se...just not OMG good.  I started with the Blue Corn Pancake with Barbecued Duck and Habanero Chile-Star Anise Sauce.  
My entree was New Mexican Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with a Bourbon-Ancho Chile Sauce served with a Sweet Potato Tamale with Crushed Pecan Butter 
 
Dessert was a Flan with Chipotle Whipped Cream (didn't like this) and Shortbread Cookie with Caramel Sauce...I get how the sweet and spicy work together, it just wasn't for me. 
But Martha's was much better - Bobby Flay's take on a s'more ~ Chocolate Bread Pudding, Toasted Bourbon Marshmallows and Crushed Graham Cracker
Our last night in Vegas we saw Cirque u Soleil "O." It was quite amazing, and I can't say I've seen anything quite like it!  
Me & Rob 
Rob & Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment